Friday, August 14, 2015

Proof of God's Love



I asked my husband to do a guest post this week and I was so moved by what he wrote. I think there is a tenderness in his tone, that reflects the tender heart of God. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Blessings to all,
Lilly.

As many of you no doubt already know, my wife and I had a new baby boy, Joshua Robert, on September 4, 2014. He was 7 pounds and 2 ounces at birth. We are excited and overjoyed at this new addition to our family. And we are excited to introduce him to our community as well. Needless to say, lots of things are happening in our world these days.

One day, I was carrying Josh. I use the term “day” loosely here. Sometimes, the days and nights seem to blur together. I was soothing him, trying to help him sleep. When I do this, it is also a moment for me to pray or to worship, singing hymns. I can remember that in this moment, I was contemplating on God’s love. He has blessed my family yet again. Josh is proof of God’s love, as is Lydia and Lilly. But even deeper than that, I was contemplating God’s own son, Jesus Christ. I love my children very much, but even that love pales in comparison to the love that exists between the Trinity. The love that God the Father has for the Son and the Holy Spirit, and the mutual return of that love between them, is quite simply boundless. It is infinite. It is therefore so much bigger than my own limited love for my family. Limited only because I am human and flawed. 

As I continued to ponder this, I distinctly recall thinking that God sent his son to be here among us. His love knows no bounds. And we are included in that love. So he came down from heaven to be among us. He came to unite himself to us. He came to redeem us. He came here to die for us. That fact astounded me. God sent his son here to pour out his life for us. I could not imagine losing my son, but God’s plan involved sending him here purposefully in order that he might die on our behalf. Such is the depth of God’s love for us. I can remember in that moment being awed by this fact, made all the more real as I held my son. 

All of this reminded me of the song “How Deep the Father’s Love for Us.” The words come back so much stronger now. “How deep the Father’s Love for us, How vast beyond all measure, That he should give us only Son, to make a wretch his treasure.” The Father’s love,  the Trinity, is turned outward and directed at us. And it is the sacrificial kind of love. In the Greek language, there is a different word for the different kinds of love. Agape is what is talked about here. Love so great that it makes sacrifices for the beloved. It is the holiest kind of love. It is divine love. God is all powerful. There is no being above him. No one is higher or more powerful than God. And yet, he demonstrates great humility and love. He came to save his beloved by dying for us. In Philippians 2:1-8, Paul exhorts the church in Philippi to be humble as Christ is humble. Christ is God, and yet he did not lord that over anyone, but became a servant to all, even to the point of dying on the Cross. 

Not only do we have this amazing fact, that God himself poured out his life on our behalf, but we also have it as an example of to how live. Sacrificial is what we do for each other. This is what we do for our spouses, our children, our families, our friends, our brothers and sisters in Christ. We pour out our lives for the sake of others. We do this because God did it for us first, and by doing this, we serve God.

This thought process all stemmed from holding my son that one day. God can come to visit with us and speak with us at any time. It was a real moment of communion with God, one that I share with you in the hope that it will give you strength, peace, and joy.
                                                                                                                                                                In Christ,
                                                                                                                                                                Fr. Bo+

No comments:

Post a Comment